21 Oct 2014

Skinny Bitches- why thin shaming is just as bad as fat shaming

"I'm bringing booty back, Go ahead and tell them skinny bitches that, No I'm just playing. I know you think you're fat"

While the F work is deemed as an insult and something we barely dare whisper the S word (that's skinny by the way) is deemed perfectly acceptable, but can both be just as hurtful? 
The Song "All About That Bass" is so catchy i've had it in my head for weeks! For the first few day it was great, the songs all about body empowerment and 'bringing booty back' and I liked it. 

But, the more I listened to it some of the lyrics bothered me... "tell then skinny bitches that" my reaction was literally WTF? I thought this song was about loving your own figure no matter what? But then I remembered that 'skinny bitches' aren't 'real women' it's true... every time you hear that phrase used on an advert look at the model, she's always beautifully curvy. 

If we ignore a few of the slightly insulting lines All About That Bass is a fun, upbeat song with some good motivational lines. 

"Every inch of you is perfect from the bottom to the top"

Still, body shaming isn't nice. And, unless It's a compliment we should probably refrain from talking about other peoples figures. I've been insulted by fat and skinny shaming, and I'll be honest neither feels good. 

O and Meghan, I don't think I'm fat thank you. Sigh- one day we'll get there I'm sure. Moral of the post- all women are real, all bodies are beautiful. 
Enjoyed this post? Read 'you're too skinny' next. 

7 comments:

  1. Well put. No one should be hurt to make someone else feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's sad that in order to make one group of people feel good about themselves we feel the need to insult another.

      Tanesha x

      Delete
  2. Couldn't agree more with this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so true. I am quite skinny and have been asked if I'm anarexic lots but I'm not! I already hate myself coz I am ugly so I don't need hate about my weight as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you're not ugly, and no body should make you hate yourself. I'm sorry you feel this way xx

      Delete
  4. I lost a huge amount of weight after my marriage broke up, and had to listen to people telling me every day that I looked ill, I looked disgusting, I needed to eat. Since I've put the weight back on (and then some) no one has mentioned it

    ReplyDelete